Passport Frequently Asked Question
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who can have Bangladesh Passports?
-Citizen of Bangladesh can have Bangladesh Passport.
2. Where passport application from is available?
-Passport application form is available free of cost in all regional passport offices in Bangladesh and foreign missions abroad. It is also be downloaded form the website of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
3. What language is used to fill-in passport application form?
-Both Bengali and English can be used in filling up the application form. But English is preferred as the entries in passport are made in English.
4. How many photographs are required for submitting application form?
-Three passport and a one stamp size photographs are to be submitted along with the application form.
5. How many application forms should be submitted for a passport?
-Two copies of filled in application forms along with photograph pasted on its specified area are to be submitted.
6. Should a passport application be attested? If so who is attesting authority?
-Each copy of application form should be attested by any of the following authority; gazetted officer of the Govt. of Bangladesh, teacher of a public university, or a private college, principal of a private college, headmaster/headmistress of a private school, chairman of a pourasava, mayor and word commissioner of a city corporation etc.
7. Should any document other than the prescribed application form is needed for passport?
-Generally no. But in particular cases the authority may ask for documents in support of applicants profession, address etc.
8. Where and when application for passport is to be submitted?
-Every Regional Passport Offices receive passport application form from 9.30 a.m to 1 p.m on every working day.
9. What is the delivery time of passport?
- Prepared passports are delivered from 9.30 a.m to 1 p.m and from 2 p.m to 4.30 p.m every working day.
10. Is there any provision to change photograph in the existing passport?
-There is no provision to change photograph in passport but duplicate passport with fresh photograph can be issued on request with usual fee to the photograph of the passport holder differs form his/ her present appearance.
11. Is there any separate application form for renewal and endorsement of the passport?
-No, there is only one application form with renewal and endorsement portion in it. The applicant needs to fill in relevant part.
12. What is the maximum period of renewal of a passport?
-A passport can be renewed for a maximum period of 05(five) years at a time. It can also be renewed for a year or a part of year but the total validity of a passport should not exceed 10(ten) years from the date of issue.
13. Can application for renewal and endorsement on passport be submitted any passport issuing offices beyond the office where from the original passport was issued?
-Yes, but the authority may refer to the issuing authority in case of suspect.
14. What is the procedure for changing particulars in the passport?
-For any change of particular in the passport, endorsement portion of the form should be filled in. Fees and supporting documents in favour of desired change also be submitted along with the applications.
15. Can passport fee be deposited in any passport office?
-No, there are designated branch of Sonali Bank for collection of passport fees. One needs to deposited passport fee in any of the branch of the Sonali Bank corresponding to the respective Regional Passport Office.
16. Is father's name replaceable by the name of the husband?
-No, after marriage, a woman passport holder needs to take a fresh passport with her husband's name in lieu of old one.
17. What is the procedure of getting passports against lost or damaged passports?
-A general diary should be made with the respective police station if any one loses his passport. Along with a copy of G.D entry an application for duplicate passport should be submitted to the respective Regional Passport Offices or mission abroad. In case of damage, general diary is not needed, but the damaged passport should be submitted.
18. Can a passport application be submitted through postal service? Or any other means?
-No, application for passport should, be submitted in person.
19. Is police verification necessary for every applicant?
- Yes, without police verification no passport should be issued.
20. Is police verification necessary for Government official /
-Police verification report is not necessary for the employees' of government, semi government, statutory organization and financial institution if their character and antecedents have already been verified by their authority. They need to submit ``No Objection Certificate`` to have passport from their appointing authority. A prescribed form of ``No Objection Certificate`` is available in all Regional Passport Offices.
21. What should be done by a Bangladeshi citizen who lost his/ her passport in abroad and validity of the same is expired?
-A Bangladeshi citizen living or travelling abroad can apply for new passport or renewal of his/ her present passport to the consular wing of the respective Bangladesh mission.
22. How many children can be included in parent's passport?
- Preferably two.